Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Heading Home




After three nights and two full days of relaxation, hiking and eating we are heading home. We hugged Ida the Bed and Breakfast Inn keeper good-bye this morning, and I actually got teary eyed. Ida was a kind woman with a calm spirit and a twinkle in her eye, she put us at ease the moment we arrived for our stay at Ancient Oaks Bed and Breakfast. I think the tears came from having to say good-bye to someone so kind and also because our mini adventure was coming to an end.

 
Mark and I hiked in the Smokey Mountains on Monday. We made our way up the mountain to a waterfall which the hiking map had said was 1.3 miles, by the time we got to the falls, I knew that they had meant 1.3 miles there and 1.3 mile back. Just a little detail I would have liked to have known when I set out on our excursion, I might not have started out with so much gusto. Another detail they omitted from the map, the path was up hill all the way. That hike was quite the adventure.

 
We also found a quaint little pub off the beaten path. It was more of a locals place and we enjoyed that the bartender kept offering samples of all the different beers that they served. We were able to sample beers we never find at home. The food was delicious and freshly prepared. We enjoyed it there so much, that we ended up going back yesterday as well. The friendliness of everyone we met made our get away all the more delightful.

 
Heading home we hope that we can keep the laid back restful feeling for a few more days. Both of our youngest girls arrive home on Saturday. We have heard from Avery each day letting us know that she was safe and happy and just a little sunburned. Aly of course is phoneless and we have been reading a blog from her mission leaders that has shared that they are all safe and happy as well. Keeping this feeling of inner peace and calm will not be easy, but I think Mark and I will try our best. Perhaps on Sunday our family will be able to sit down together and share our stories. For now I will focus on not yelling out to Mark every time something on our route home startles me. While it makes me feel like I am helping, it drives Mark nuts.

 
I find it quite amazing that I can write this and then send it out into the airwaves for you to read while I am riding along I-75. Tomorrow I will share more from our trip. Here are some more photos…

No comments: