Friday, April 29, 2011

Finding Happiness



First kiss as newlyweds
Photo borrowed from CNN website

A friend of mine posted on Facebook this morning that she was boycotting watching the Royal Wedding because of all the tragedies in the world. This comment bothered me. Life is short and joy can be fleeting I feel any opportunity to see and experience happiness should be embraced.

 
I do understand her point though, when you have seen war and natural disaster pillaging lives, you cannot imagine skipping through those moments singing. The flip side of that though is the moment that joy breaks through. I remember the first time I laughed after my Mom died; someone had shared a funny comment about my Mom, and my heart popped open and welcomed the laugh that bubbled up.

 
I find myself drawn to the Royal Wedding because of the joy that is evident for everyone in England. I also find myself watching Catherine and William with hope and anticipation. They seem so happy and their happiness is bringing happiness to others. By choosing not to share in their joy and happiness you do not decrease it for them. You do however miss the opportunity to smile and share that smile with someone else.

 
The memory of the first laugh after my Mom passed away continues to spur me towards finding happiness. As I always tell my children, "never miss the opportunity to celebrate yourself and life". Today my nod towards happiness comes from watching young love in a far off country with a double kiss on the palace balcony to seal their lives together. This joy will not take away from all of the events throughout the world. It may just make it a little easier to get through them though. To me life is about making your way through the rough stuff and finding happiness where ever you can.

No comments: