Thursday, February 17, 2011

Why I Write


A couple of years ago as I was watching the movie Julie and Julia at the theatre with my girls, I had this strong feeling of purpose. As I sat in the film the feeling came over me that I needed to write. I had enjoyed writing on and off for a while but had not really written much in a couple of years, I missed it and I also felt like I had so much emotion and stress trapped inside trying to deal with (once again) my Dad and his choices and my 93 year old Aunt and her life. I was bubbling over and losing control and I needed some way of focusing myself, so that day I decided to write again.

 
Over time my reason for writing has changed from a need to a want. I look forward to (most days) writing out my heart. Some days it is easier than other days. There are those days when I hit the post button that I think, oh Lord why did I write that? There are other days when I think to myself, "I have to write about this" and feel better once I do.

 
I write because my life fills me up some days. There are days when my children push me to the limit and there are days when life does too. There are also the days when I feel like I haven't a friend in the world and other days I write because I realize that I lie to myself. Most of the time I sit in front of my keyboard writing as if my fingers were in charge as the thoughts just pour out of them.

 
As my writers life progresses, I am starting to realize that I am not a great writer, but what I write heals me. In a way it is like being a Mom, I am not a doctor, but I still try to heal my children when they are sick or wounded. If somehow I can write about my life and someone else can see themselves then maybe that day the connection helps someone else heal and laugh and feel a little less alone in the life they are living.

My writing has helped me look at the world in a new way. Each day I find that I can say to myself "I should write about that". Rather than loping along letting life go by like water in a stream, I sit by my life stream with my little net and try to catch some of my life to save, remember and share. I have found clarity in fog, released pain and remembered joy through my pages of writing. I will always remember that day a while back when a simple movie gave me my life back.
Just a little something to make you laugh today!

No comments: