Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Cave


My tiny outdated galley kitchen (before)
 
Recently Mark and I made a difficult choice. I know I have mentioned in the past that given our druthers, we would travel over doing anything to our home, which explains why we need new windows, new back doors, a new roof, and a new driveway and last but not least an updated kitchen. It was time to grow up and make a choice that would move us forward out of the decay of our home. So without too much consideration we decided (with a lot of input from me) to remodel our kitchen.

 I have two feelings about this reconstruction the first one is, "Yea, at last!" and the second one "what the heck will I do without a kitchen for a month?" I do not think it really hit home with my family that this was not going to be a walk in the park until they realized that we would not have a microwave, and that our house would be torn up. The second half of the realization really hit home when everyone came home on Tuesday and the kitchen looked like something from a war movie. The girls (Aly and Avery) actually screamed.

 
Before you feel too bad for us, you should know that our home was built in the 70's by a lovely Italian family who built a small kitchen into the basement for canning and cooking purposes, so (although it is not decked out like the kitchen we are use to) we will not starve. However, now we are spending an extraordinary amount of time in our basement crammed together like cave people eating at a little table and being warmed by the fireplace. Honestly, other than our bedrooms upstairs most of our time is spent together down here in the cave. For whatever reason this seems more comfortable then staring at the giant sink hole that once was my kitchen.

 
We all seem to be spending a lot more time down here together, helped by the fact that Mark has been home sick and the girls having two snow days (the second snow day being today). Cave dwelling might be fun for some, but I am a social being and I need to be out and about when possible. My plan is to grab a friend today and head out for a couple hours with someone that is not family. I want to be with someone that does not yell at me because I want them to bring me their laundry (in an organized right side out fashion) or expects me to cook for them in the tiny kitchen and clean it up in the small bar sink (apparently I am the replacement for our dishwasher). Before I put the hammer down on my family I want to climb out of the cave and have a few hours reprieve to rejuvenate myself.

 
Later today, I will be back at it, working my magic cooking and mothering and performing my wifely duties in the cave, but just the thought of having an adult play date has me stepping a little lighter. The best part of all of this is that in a few short weeks, I will finally have the kitchen I have longed for and then we can start saving for the next project on our list….hmn, what will it be?
The remodel destruction begins...

10 x 10 looks bigger when it is empty doesn't it?

No comments: