Friday, February 4, 2011

The Roses



Yesterday the doorbell rang in the afternoon. I have a long standing personal rule that I do not answer the door unless I know someone is coming to visit, otherwise I usually will just ignore the bell and go about my business. Yesterday however, Avery was home for snow day #2 and she was upstairs when the doorbell rang. She called down the stairs "MOM, SOMEONES AT THE DOOR!" Now, odds were very good, that the jig(thanks to my very LOUD daughter) was up and said doorbell ringer probably knew we were home, so I snuck up stairs and peeked through the window where I saw a woman standing at my front door with a bouquet of long stem red roses. Let's just say I wasted no time getting to the door and opening it. The roses were from my husband Mark and they were the very first dozen long stem red roses I have ever received. These beautiful roses brought me to tears.

 
For the last couple of weeks, I have been quizzed about what I would like for my birthday, which is today. My response has been pretty much the same, "I am getting a new kitchen that is enough for me." I have suggested a couple of small things here and there, like Mark taking the day off so we can spend it together, but over all I have had no real ideas about "wants". I have everything I need and want already, and what I have hoped for in the last many years (the kitchen) is finally happening and that in its self is so huge I cannot possibly expect more…until the roses came, they made my day, my birthday, even my year!

 
I know a lot of people think flowers are temporary and not a good way to spend your money, but I disagree. The smell of the flowers, the color of the petals and even the shape of the flowers and the stem all make each flower and bouquet very individual and special. I love flowers and I love that Mark thought to honor me with this beautiful gift of roses. I am a very lucky lady today and every day.

 
Today, Mark has taken the day off and we will spend the day together, that is another special request that I made. I am looking forward to just being together, maybe seeing a movie and having some lunch, nothing big, just Mark and I enjoying each other and the day. Simple and beautiful, just like a rose. Just as a side note, the next time your doorbell rings take a minute to peek out your window, you just never know what you might see there!

No comments: