Friday, February 18, 2011

Mother of the Year


The last few days have been a whirlwind of visits to the doctor. You will recall my pathetic post the other day about having to go back to the doctor for the third time and how I was concerned about him thinking I was stalking him. Well, I should tell you that I went back again later that day with Avery who came home from school with glassy eyes and a very stuffy/runny nose thing. I immediately called the doctor to jump on this before it got any worse. That is what we good moms do.

 
As Avery was having her temperature taken and her symptoms written down, the nurse casually asked me what my temperature had been the day before, I looked at her for a minute and replied "Um, Terry? That was this morning". We all started to laugh and she shared that it had been the longest day ever, for her. She is a single Mom and she had one child (of her two) sick with a fever and it was taking its toll on her. We laughed and joked about her forgetting I had been there and talked about how Mom's have a lot on their plates. The doctor soon came in, diagnosed Avery with an inner ear infection and sent us on our way to get Avery's prescription and get her home to rest. Mind you during all of this Aly was home because she was not feeling well either, which we had attributed to an infection/complication from her surgery back in December.

 
The following day (yesterday) I had Aly get up and shower and told her if she felt better to try to go to school. If she needed to come home she could call me and I would pick her up. So off everyone went yesterday morning to work and school and I planned to run errands and get ready to visit my oldest daughter this coming weekend. As I was heading to my bank my cell phone rang and it was Aly calling from school. "Mom, I am not feeling good at all, I am weak and shaky, I want to come home." In my head I was thinking "agh", but what I said was "I am actually out heading that way, I will be there in five minutes, I have to go to the bank though, so you will have to go with me" "That's OK" Aly said.

 
Once, I picked her up I could tell that she was not doing well, so I told her that we had better call the doctor. Once again I had to call the doctor's office (this would be my third visit there in 24 hours). If the doctor thought I was hot for him, he was really going to worry now! When the receptionist answered, I asked her if my room was ready, because we were coming back! Once at the doctor they decided that Aly should have her blood drawn and they were going to check her for Mononucleosis. Great!

 
As a side note several years ago when Aly was in middle school, she had been tired and lethargic and I kept pushing her thinking she was being lazy. After a couple weeks I said, "That's it, we are going to the doctor!" That's when we found out that she was in the last stages of…you guessed it, Mononucleosis. I sheepishly left the office that day feeling like THE worst mother ever. This event has contributed to my need to rush them to the doctor when they show signs of not feeling well.

 
Anyway, as I sat waiting for the doctor to come in I chatted with the nurse some more (we have built a very close relationship since we have spent so much time together lately). She told me how her child was in another room with a fever of 102 for the third day in a row, because she could not call in to work that day. She said she was not going to get the Mother of the Year award this year and that's when I said to her "I wouldn't mind being nominated but I would not want to win. Once the bar was that high I would be stressed all the time about falling below the bar!"

 
I can guarantee that Mother of the Year is not on the horizon for me this year, but that's OK, as long as I can get all of us healthy and back on our feet I will be happy. My award will be everyone back to school and back to the energetic fun girls I love. These droopy, cranky beings that are lying around my house are sucking the life out of me. Whoops, did I say that out loud? Oh boy, there went my nomination for Mother of the Year! I guess I will just have to be OK with being a "good mom" for now.


Here is another Mother of the Year!!

No comments: