Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Being Uncomfortable


As I stood in my warrior pose this morning during my Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown DVD, Jillian barked out these words to me "I want you to get comfortable being uncomfortable!" I have heard her make this comment a few times since I have been doing this workout for a couple of weeks now, but this morning I heard it in a new and different way.

 
What I heard this morning was "stop whining and start doing something". I have been feeling a bit at loose ends lately. I had backed away from doing any real extracurricular activities in the last year or so. I had spent so much of my brain space dealing with the grief and loss of my parents that it absorbed my every waking moment; I had nothing left to give. Last week, I decided that I would be open to new things and left it in God's hands and that's when the sea began to part for me.

 
First, I received an email from my friend who runs A Beautiful Me asking to meet with me to talk about the love letter I wrote to myself in my blog, so yesterday morning we met. We had a wonderful discussion about what we have on our hearts and then we talked about our passions. I shared with her that I have a passion for empowering woman and she shared that she was working on a retreat idea for woman and girls. At that moment, I knew my prayer of direction had been answered. I hope to be a part of making this retreat come true, I think it would be an amazing gift to many women. I have attended conferences for stay at home Mom's when my girls were little and they were the most empower weekends and the thought of sharing this opportunity with other women has me very excited.

 
Next, this morning I opened my email and there was a note from a friend asking if I would join her on a committee that would work on a five year strategic plan for our school district. The schools are another one of my long time passions that started when I worked on the PTO many years ago. I also like working on committees and helping unite groups that are fractioned, which many groups are when you talk about the schools.

 
Suddenly doors were opening and I was feeling a little uncomfortable. I started wondering, should I take these things on? I started flogging myself with self doubt and concern if I would be the right person for any of this and then I remembered what Jillian Michaels had said "Get comfortable being uncomfortable". Ironically, today I also realized that at the end of her workout, she shares that you should always reach for your dreams. She also cautions not to stop short or lose faith in one's self. WOW! Do you think perhaps it is time for me to stop sitting around and step back into my life or what? That is why today, I am perfectly comfortable being uncomfortable, care to join me?

No comments: