Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Waiting Game


Christmas concert 2010
Aly and Avery did a fabulous duet!
Today is part one of the waiting game. This morning I waited for my girls to get ready so I could drive them to school. I just wanted to give them a little extra time this morning. They were up a little later because they had a choir concert last night and I thought it would be nice for them to have a slower paced morning. Then I waited for the washer repairman to arrive so that I can finally wash my clothes without the washer rinsing, gyrating and spinning all at the same time. Now I am waiting for the hospital to call.

 
Tomorrow is the long awaited surgery that Aly is having for her Perinadol cyst. We are all anxious. The call from the hospital will tell us what time the surgery will be which will subsequently help us make a plan for tomorrow. I do not like this loose end dangling out there. I just want this call so that we can stop waiting and wondering. Trying to keep Aly from the deep end about her surgery has been somewhat difficult. Originally her week was jam packed with school and studying for tests and homework which would have kept her mind off of the impending event, but with two snow days packed mostly with laying around and watching America's Next Top Model, she has had too much time to think and wonder. On Tuesday I took Aly in to have some pre surgery testing done. All they did was draw her blood, which she has only had done one other time. She did ok, but she kept pointing out that the site of the blood draw with stinging and the skin hurt where she had removed the band aid. This prompted me to be concerned about her pain threshold. If her pain threshold is that low I will need some medication after the surgery too. I am thinking something to keep me calm and less sarcastic about pain. Remember, I have had three children without any pain meds, so I am the least likely to be understanding.

 
OK, I know that after the surgery I will be a giant marshmallow for my little girl and I will most likely be falling all over myself to make sure she is comfortable, but I want to start the bar high and we will go from there. Mean while I continue to wait for the call. I have some running around to do, so maybe I will get that out of the way. You know how when you are out to eat and you decide to go to the restroom and then your food comes? That is the principal I am thinking of. So with that, I am taking my two broken toes (let's talk pain shall we?) and hit the road in hopes of receiving the much desired phone call. Tomorrow I will be coming to you from the "waiting" room at the hospital. Hey, just a little writing to help pass the time during the waiting game.

No comments: