Tuesday, December 7, 2010

All I Want For Christmas



There is nothing special I want for Christmas. I look through the ads and see thousands of things and nothing seems that important. Of course there are things that would be nice, (I have mentioned to Mark that a new robe would be nice, the one I have now is a burnt orange color and I bought it on clearance several years ago for $7.00) but I do not need anything. I have it in my heart this year to give.

 
The more I think about giving, the more places and people I think of giving to. I feel like my life has been so wonderful that I just want to give back. I am madly in love with my husband. After 18 years of marriage he still makes me laugh out loud. I am totally in love with my children, I have three wonderful girls and now thanks to my oldest getting married almost three years ago, I also have a wonderful son-in-law too. My life is full of friends who I enjoy spending time with and who love and support me even when I am not that easy to support.

Mark tells me Christmas is not about need, he says that this is your chance to ask for something that is your heart's desire and someone may give it to you. My trouble with that is looking back, I remember the times when I had very little. I was a single Mom and I was buying my daughter her Christmas presents at the dollar store. I think of that and I realize that her face on Christmas morning was just as happy as if I had given her the latest and greatest gifts. Perhaps Christmas is more about perspective. Maybe if we look at the giving as our gift to ourselves instead of the receiving it would change the holiday.
1985 Giving Christmas to
Ashleigh brought me joy!
Ashleigh delighted with her
little doll and plastic wagon
 











My Christmas will be wonderful regardless if I get my robe or not. While my list of needs is empty there are others that have a full list of needs. I am going to attempt to give to them. I have been keeping a list for a few months of people that I would like to help and my chance is here. It will not be much, but I know from the days of having nothing that it does not take much to make a difference. This year, all I want for Christmas is time with my family sharing our traditions and to give to as many as I can. Those two things will make this the best Christmas ever.

1 comment:

DemoDiva said...

Two things: 1. you have spent your life giving the best of yourself to others, so there is nothing wrong with getting a little treat here and there. 2. Love, Love, Love you! You are amazing!