Saturday, December 18, 2010

There’s No Place Like Home

To quote Dorothy in The Wizard of OZ, "There's no place like home". We arrived home yesterday at 3:00 PM. Knowing that this was outpatient surgery, I assumed they would send Aly home, but I was worried about getting her into the car and worried about how much pain she was in and worried about getting her into the house. OK, I will admit it I was worried. The thing is although Aly was in pain she remained calm. She would tell us when she hurt and where it hurt, but over all she was very brave.

Considering her surgery was on her tail bone, I knew that moving her legs and walking would be very painful, along with sitting or bending of any kind. I was worried about getting her into the car and then into the house. While these difficult tasks, she sucked it up and did it. Each thing she tried to do was hard, but as the night went on she began to relax and I believe that her relaxing helped diminish the pain. Aly is in good spirits, which will also help with her recovery. On Monday after noon we will go into the doctor's office and they will remove the small pump they inserted into the wound to drain the fluids off. This pump collects the fluids, and then Mark or I must empty it. It is not a fun job, but if it will help her heal, we are happy to do it.

All in all, I am happy to have the surgery "behind us" ( tee he, sorry). We are all excited and hopeful for a steady recovery. Aly is hoping to try out for a part in her schools spring musical, I think if this morning is an example of her healing, she will have no problem at all. She is happy and moving much better today. All signs of a good recovery. Maybe this trend towards doing surgery and then sending people home really is a good idea after all. Aly seems much more comfortable here and I like that we can care for her and love her up! Most of all we are all so glad to just be home.

No comments: