Saturday, December 4, 2010

Following the Rules


The other day as I visited with my Aunt Nina, I shared with her the details of our Thanksgiving dinner. I told her what I made for dinner and how I made it. I also described my table setting and shared how I was low on candles, so I only put one candle on the table. To this detail my Aunt replied, "What time did you eat?" "We ate at about 3:00 PM" I responded. My Aunt quickly rebuffed me with "You should not have candles on the table before 5:00 PM" I just stared at her. "What do you mean?"I asked her. Aunt Nina just repeated her comment again, "You are not suppose to have candles on your table before 5:00 PM". All I could say at that point was "I like candles on the table, I don't care what time it is!"

 
First of all, where did that rule come from? Who has that much time on their hands to sit around making declarations about when people can light candles? Second of all, why would you care about what some obscure person that will never see your table thinks about candles before 5:00 PM? This had to be some etiquette rule from 70 or 80 years ago, because when I Goggled Candles on table before five, nothing came up on the web except a bunch of decorating tips.

 
I will be honest; when Auntie first mentioned this tidbit I was very concerned that I had broken a rule. I am a rule follower. If a sign says "Do Not Enter" then I don't. If there is a directive about right and wrong, I am the first to get the details and get on it. But this new twist of the rules got me thinking… who cares? As long as I am not breaking the law or hurting anyone, why does it matter? I am all for making sure that guidelines are followed for the betterment of mankind, but perhaps some of life's rules are just not necessary. Why do I have to have my purse match my coat or shoes or belt? Why can't I wear dressy boots to a wedding?

 
Maybe it is my age, but I find myself thinking "BAH" too many of the rules I am faced with anymore. I really am not worried about "getting in trouble" or "causing a commotion" I am just making my way through this life and trying to enjoy myself. As a matter of fact as I write this today, I am looking up every so often to gaze at the candle that is lit across the room. I am not going to recommend that rules be completely abandoned, but I am all for thinking them through a little more.

 
Here are just a few of the items that I came across on the world wide web that require rules:
Rules of the internet
Rules of soccer
Rules of dating
Rules of attraction
Rules of exponents
Rule of law
That is just a small sample of life's rules. I suppose in the big picture rules are an important part of our everyday life. I have to wonder though if some of us take the rules too far. Here is the thing, it all seems very important right now, but at some point the only thing that matters is if I have been a good person and if I have followed The Golden Rules. Other than that a random candle on my Thanksgiving table really means nothing. I think I will still be able to sleep nights.

No comments: