Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Warning Explosion Possible


I have been told that loss of a loved one or major changes in life can cause emotional trauma. I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on emotional trauma, I won’t get into the nitty gritty of why I consider myself an expert, because it is a long old story that you can read in my earlier blogs and honestly it is time to move on. However I am looking down the barrel of an empty nest and its making me a little loco (Spanish for crazy) and it is clear that emotional trauma has set in. Let me start with where this trauma might be coming from…

My oldest daughter has moved to Connecticut, as in the state. All those things that used to worry me now worry me on a grander scale and not being able to physically see that she is well and making good choices is stirring my emotions up.

Next, we have my middle daughter who after a rocky start to summer has settled down made great choices and actually likes being with me…sounds great right? What could be wrong you ask? A week from this Friday she is heading back to college, another perfectly good child abandoning ship which turns my emotions over even more.

My youngest daughter who has enjoyed two lovely vacations with me so far this summer has informed me that she is tired of being with me, she has had enough of our together time and would prefer I basically mind my P’s & Q’s and stop offering what I consider perfectly solid advice about how to handle her senior year that’s ahead of us in literally one month. This delightful tidbit was like being dropped into a food processor. When I have mentioned that that comment has hurt me she explains that it was a bad day and I need to move on…THAT is going to take some doing!

Finally, my husband is here. I mean ALL THE TIME. He works at home, he eats at home, he sleeps at home (I know that’s good, but it adds dramatic effect to point it out). My husband has taken a turn to the curmudgeon side. He is easily cranky, annoyed by the slightest deviation from schedule or normal daily life and frankly not much fun anymore. This bear is easily provoked. Let’s just put the giant blade in the blender and mix up my emotional distress signal shall we?


I have announced several times that I have reached my limit, but no one here is taking me seriously, so I am letting you all know right now that an explosion is not far off. I am starting to feel slightly hysterical and it will not be pretty when I do finally blow. I am no longer even able to talk in a pleasant tone of voice. I mostly speak in monotone and reply in one word answers just to be on the safe side. If they had a bomb robot to defuse me, I would consider it a good investment…but they don’t. The best course of action is to call up my therapist and plunk down on the couch for a nice long mental tune up. At this point it seems like the wisest choice, much better than the yelling and chasing people idea I keep fantasizing about.

No comments: