Friday, August 23, 2013

A Healing Weekend

Everything is stacked by the backdoor ready to be packed in the car. I have packed my suitcase, or I should say over packed my suitcase, for the weekend. I have rallied the troops here warning them that I want to leave no later than 11:30. I cannot be held accountable for my mood if there is a delay. Tonight in the middle of the woods near the lodge we visited with our parents each year, our families will join together and let our loved ones go.

It will feel good to laugh, cry and share stories. We all need to heal; at least I know my sisters and I do. This time spent with our families will be a tribute to our parents. Each one of us there carries a piece of these two people with us and it will be nice to blend those pieces into a united moment of love.

 These last few years of been arduous, but we have stared down the tough stuff and made it through. This ability to make our way through difficult times is what always amazes me. God never gives us more than we can handle. I sometimes think he has misjudged me as I am sure many of us think, but when I have made my way through, I realize that “Hey, I did it!” and I walk away with a sense of accomplishment and a renewed strength.


I must get myself together now. I will be ready to go and tapping my foot waiting for my family to pull it together. I am a bundle of mixed emotions and being on the road will help me. In every moment today I will be thankful for the strength I have found and the love that surrounds me. I am also grateful that these difficult times brought my sisters and me closer together. God continues to work in mysterious ways.

No comments: