Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Peaches and Eggs

Today is one of those days. It is hot and steamy and grey outside and there is no motivation inside. I am looking around at all the things I need to do and thinking, “Nah!”  There is not much hope of getting past the “Nah”, but I must try. My week is jam packed with activities and I have no time to sit around unenthused. I must keep moving.

One of my major triumphs this morning was flipping my egg in the pan without a spatula. I just slid it back and forth in the pan…back and forth, back and forth then swish and flop it went over. Somehow that success made me feel pretty darn good, like a real accomplishment. I suppose if I can flip an egg I can get it together today and accomplish a few more things.

Where I live it is time for our Annual Peach Festival. This weekend starts on Thursday and ends Monday after a very long Parade which includes our Peach Queen. Not to brag…ok totally bragging, but my oldest daughter was Peach Queen in 2002. It was a very busy, exciting summer of parade after parade. I even made shirts for my younger daughters that said FUTURE PEACH QUEEN. Very exciting times, anyway…this weekend every year I tell myself I am going to take it easy and not do so much and every year I over do it. I can already see that train barreling down the track, but I cannot stop it, it’s a monster of my own making.

Tomorrow (Thursday and the first day of Peach Festival) I have signed up to run a 5K race (the Peach Festival 5K, cause everything is peachy this weekend!). This race raises money for our local Lions Club. Years ago I challenged myself to run it and I have run the race one other time. Tomorrow I am going to run it again with Mark and a couple of other friends. This race is the kick off to a weekend of peachmania all over town. Maybe this is why I am unmotivated; I am just over whelmed with all the peachyness.

Last year Mark and I skipped town and relaxed away from all the peach stuff. It was very nice and I wish we could have done it again, but we have been gone enough this summer and we are going to be on the go all year sooooo…Peach Festival it is. I am braced and ready, let the peach madness begin!


So I must do something else besides flip an egg today. I have laundry to put in the dryer and a basement to clean and dinner to plan. I know there is much more, but I am giving myself a low bar and if I reach it I will regroup from there. I will either excel or just stay with the status quo. It is all good as long as I move forward and prepare for Peach madness.

No comments: