Friday, August 30, 2013

In Life a Little Rain Must Fall

“In every life a little rain must fall”. I’m not sure where that saying came from, but it came to my mind this morning as I sit on my deck enjoying a beautiful summer morning. It is hard to imagine right now where the rain would come from. It’s sunny, warm (but not too warm) and the birds are singing with delight, but according to the weather channel, rain is coming.

In life we do not always get a “weather report” to help us steer clear of an upcoming personal storm. Many times an unexpected storm hits us and we are literally blown away by the damage it causes. Wouldn’t it be nice if we had a Doppler radar for our lives? Some gizmo that would alert us when life was going to blow us away or a storm of personal trouble was on the horizon. One minute we are making plans to meet with friends and the next minute we are heading to a hospital to be with a loved one who is ill. There is no warning.

Honestly, I am so attached to the Weather Channel and the Weather Channel app that there are times that they literally rule my day and my life. How did anyone get by without 24 hour weather information? Probably the same way we get by in life, we just wing it. It is nice knowing what will happen next but I know that I will hedge on a fun activity or plans with friends based on a weather report that never actually transpires. I am certain if I had access to a life app, it would stop me in my tracks when there was an errant personal storm cloud looming. I would ring my hands and wonder what I should do to avoid the personal storm only to have it move past without any real activity. Can you see yourself halting plans and changing your life based on inside information?


For now its best that life has a little rain that falls and that we are none the wiser about when our life cloud will burst. We are then blessed with living life to the fullest whenever we can and as long as we can. As I sit here warming my toes in the last few bursts of summer sun it is hard to imagine that a storm is coming and I like it that way, I can relax and soak in summer. As for what lies ahead for my day or my life I will not know until it blows in and I am okay with that. Why waste this beautiful weather worrying about what I cannot control. 

No comments: