Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Like Sand in an Hourglass

Note: This morning I posted yesterdays post as well as today's...we were traveling yesterday and there was no available WIFI in my car and no time when we arrived home...it always ends up being about time.

I am watching summer drain away like the tiny grains of sand in an hour glass. Slowly one by one the minutes, hours and days have drained away. Suddenly my middle daughter is packing up her belongings and heading back to college and my youngest is preparing for her senior year. It is funny how all of a sudden those same minutes and hours and days seem even more precious because they are limited.

When summer began it seemed to stretch out ahead as if we could never possibly fill up all of the time and now I am scratching my head wondering where all of the time went. Where was I when the time slithered by quietly draining away? I was certain as summer entered the picture that I would accomplish so much and in truth I have not. In fact I believe this was my least productive summer ever. Is it possible to make up for my lack of productivity in the three weeks I have left? This week will fly by like all the rest and I will be standing at the end of it trying to catch a grain or two from the hourglass.

Yesterday as my middle daughter was going over details for this weekend’s move back up to campus, she received an email informing her that she was hired for an on campus job she had interviewed for. While exciting, it also ups the time anti and we lose a day. Rather than packing her car and heading up to her new apartment on Friday, she must now leave very early Thursday morning so that she is on campus in time for her job orientation at 10:00AM. This means a bright and early three hour drive, checking into her apartment early and more summer sand whisks away. Saturday morning, Mark and I will trail behind with a trailer full of furniture and suddenly our daughter’s summer will be over.


Now all of the things we all thought we had time for this summer are being crammed into the very limited moments that are left. Time with friends, purchasing needed items and a much desired but put off bonfire in the back yard are jammed into the remaining granules of time. If we had any extra time we might be sad but we have no time to look back, these moments are precious, so forward we march into the clutches of Fall and all that awaits for us there. 

No comments: