Thursday, August 8, 2013

Ice Cream Therapy

I remember when my Grandma used to sit in her comfy living room chair and eat ice cream. Grandma did not fuss with getting a bowl and scooping out a scoop or two, nope she would plunk down in her chair with the whole ½ gallon (Back in the day when they still made ½ gallons). There my Grandma would sit watching baseball and eating ice cream, happy and content. This was her time and she made the most of every minute, while savoring every last bite of ice cream.
I have never been one to lose myself in food. I love food, but it has never been my comfort station. I’m a talker. I talk to anyone that will listen about anything and everything. I find my comfort in learning from others, asking questions about other people’s trials and how they dealt with them. I have been accused more than once by my family that I cannot use a public restroom without coming out with a friend. That is what happens when you talk, you open your mouth and talk to anyone and they talk back and if all goes well there is laughing and connecting. This is my emotional food and it fills me up.
I do eat ice cream, I really enjoy it. I love soft serve and regular ice cream. I am not above pouring a delicious sauce like chocolate or caramel on top or even ordering delicious things mixed into it; as a matter of fact my Mom loved ice cream too. My Mom loved anything sweet, but I am sure her love of ice cream came from her Mom, my Grandma.  My Mom even served me cake for dinner one night because it sounded good. We sat on either side of a chocolate cake and ate our way to the middle. You would think with a back ground like that I would have adopted a similar lifestyle, but I have not. Instead of looking into a bowl of ice cream, I choose to look into someone’s eyes and learn about who they are.

I cannot judge anyone for choosing to be comforted by any one thing, be it food or relationships. We are all here to learn something and we all figure it out eventually sometimes later than sooner. I can tell you though that down at the bottom of that empty ice cream carton there are no answers and no one is there, but when you reach out and ask someone a question you get answers and sometimes you even gain a friend. Both of these methods are tried and true in my family, ice cream therapy and talk therapy it’s just a matter of opinion. What do you think?

No comments: