Thursday, March 3, 2011

Strategic Plan


Our school district recently recruited teachers, parents and community members to participate in making a 5 year strategic plan for our schools. When a friend of mine mentioned that she was asked if she wanted to participate, I told her that I too would be interested in working on this plan. Our high school principal contacted me and BAM, I am now a member of this dynamic community group. On Tuesday morning I stopped by the high school and picked up my very large three ring binder of information that includes facts and figures from various educational articles. I am preparing to go to my first meeting next Tuesday night.

 
Planning anything strategic sounds very scary and I cannot say whether or not I am the right person for the job, however I do know that I am very interested in how our district works. My other issue is that there will be a variety of voices in this group and I want to be sure that mine is heard. I feel there is focus on keeping our average kids engaged, but I have friends with children on the bright end and friends with children that are struggling and from the outside looking in it feels like there is not enough support for the outside edges of our educational system. Whether or not my perspective will be well received remains to be seen, however it is worth a try.

 
For the next four months I will be working towards having my opinions heard, my hope is that somewhere in the middle of this strategic plan is room for my opinions and possibly an action plan as well. Our school district is not a failing district we score high on state tests, our dropout rate is low. Perhaps it is because we have a community full of people that are willing to take the time to make a plan for our kids. Having the community, teachers and parents working together on this plan is something new, and my hope is that it leads to a better sense of community for all involved.


 
This binder is not going to read its self, so I will have to get at it soon. Hopefully in the weeks to come I will be able to share positive stories from the strategic plan front. There is a very eclectic group involved which will make for interesting and stimulating conversations. I am sure that I am not the only person that has opinions about our district. I am looking forward to Tuesday and to meeting and hearing what others think and feel.

No comments: