Thursday, October 21, 2010

Run

I am a runner. I only say that because I run. Not because I run marathons or ½ marathons or even 10K's, but because I trot around my neighborhood about two to three times a week. Some people run because they love the feeling of running, some run long distances, I do neither. Regardless of that I am told that I am still considered a runner. I like that I can be part of this group and not be judged by my time or distance. I am solely included by my effort.

I would like to ramp up my running a little bit and possibly go a little farther, but I have been under the weather and until two days ago I did not realize I had an infection in my sinuses. It seems silly but at first I thought I was over doing it and that is why I was so tired. I even had myself convinced that my dull headaches and stuffy nose were just some allergy issue that I could ignore and it would go away. Unfortunately, the tired, dull headachy, stuffy nose feeling did not go away and I was forced to consult with an actual physician rather than using my usual maternal doctoral skills. TA DA, I am on the road to recovery. Now that I am feeling a little better I have big ideas about getting out and running without that sluggish, I don't want to do this feeling. I also do not want to sit on my behind so long that I decide that my perch is a better choice than running the roads. I am taking the medicine my doctor prescribed and resting and working on getting better. Being part of this elite group of athletes even though I am not elite makes me proud, and I do not want to drag the group down. I am honored to be a runner and I do not want to lose my key to this club by letting this small illness put my brakes on.

So with that declaration, I am going to pull it together and trot around the block a couple times. It's not much, but in this runners world it is all about actually running not the distance. At least that is what Coach Mark once told me.

No comments: