Friday, October 8, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole


Just when you think that everything is on track and you are going to come out the other side intact, you stumble down the rabbit hole and end up back in wonderland. Here we go again trying to deal with family and get this estate cleared up and distributed. If there was room, my poor Mom's ashes would be spinning around in her little wooden box. That is not possible since I also added her cat Mandy's ashes and her dog Cassie's ashes to the box (creepy, I know, but I just did not want to throw them out and since I know she loved her "babies" (her words not mine) it seemed like a good choice). Anyway, I digress. The point is that now instead of my Dad dragging us into Wonderland one of my sister's is filling his shoes.

 
All my sister and I want to do is settle this estate and move on, but instead our sister that worked for my Dad in New Orleans, seems to be doing everything she can to A. Make my other sister (that is co-executor) and I look like idiots and B. Throw up every road block and stir the pot with everyone we are dealing with in New Orleans. This is nothing new with our sister. We have spent our entire lives dealing with her stunts and now her stunts are biting us in the butt again.

 
Example: Years ago New Orleans sister called me crying that her current boyfriend's roommate was being mean to her while her boyfriend was out of town. Since she was living there, she did not want to stay there it was just too upsetting. I had her throw her stuff in the car and come stay with me until he returned. I was a single Mom living in a mobile home that I had purchased on my limited income, but I wanted to help her. The week turned into a month and the month turned into three and she never offered to chip in for expenses. I even went so far as to wash my cat in special soap at the time; because she was allergic (that was fun). Anyway, during this time she started seeing someone else and ended her relationship with the boyfriend. Suddenly, she was mad at me because I had suggested that if she was going to stay she should help financially and she started telling people that I was being mean to her and that she had to move out. One weekend while my daughter and I were visiting a friend of mine, she moved out. The only reason I even knew that she moved was that I called my Mom when I got home to let her know we were home safe and she told me my sister had moved out because I was so "mean" to her.

 
New Orleans sister eventually married the boyfriend, but the tough part is she is married to my husband's brother. I of course met and married Mark (met him at a party she had), and even that whole thing was a huge drama, ("When you two break up it will ruin my wedding" Huh?) but I will not get into it. Basically, I feel like she is never happy unless she is a victim. There never seems to be a time when she is not having some sort of difficulty and I believe that now her new banner to wave is My Sister's are MEAN.

 The problem with that is all we are trying to do is get information to clear up this mess that my Dad created and move on. Instead of New Orleans sister working with us to get this estate done and over with she is creating drama after drama, and my other sister and I are wandering around wonderland trying to find the right potion to get us the heck out of here. Essentially I am very tired of being her wiping girl and letting her need to be a victim be my problem. I am also starting to realize that we have another narcissist in the family. The way that she operates is to constantly turn your attention back to her by creating an illness, or a slight for you to feel sorry for her about and when that does not work, she ramps it up and starts directly attacking you. Well. I am announcing today that I am through with the family narcissists running the show! My sister and I want nothing more than to get this estate cleared up fairly and move on. No one is trying to slight anyone; we just want to get on with our lives outside of Wonderland!

No comments: