Friday, October 15, 2010

Fever Pitch



This is the beginning of a no holds barred, fever pitch, full steam ahead, Homecoming weekend. The girls are dressed in their school colors this morning and they are running around trying to get out the door so that Mark can drive them to school in time for a student council meeting. This is a big deal. They have dressed in Neon one day, and animal print the next, there was even a Homecoming float parade in the pouring rain (Aly and I skipped that). Now we are closing in on the game tonight and the dance tomorrow. Here is where it gets a little crazy.

 
Last June, Mark and I ordered tickets for a play (Legally Blonde the Musical) for Aly's July birthday. This is a show she has wanted to see for a long time. We ordered four tickets so that Aly, her sisters and I could go. I was so happy with myself, I chose this coming Saturday at 2:00PM which was available on the schedule thinking that then Ashleigh could come for the show and still go home if she wanted too. It never occurred to me that Ashleigh would be working out of state or that our district would chose to have our Homecoming Dance on the same day! So now Ashleigh is driving in from the Pennsylvania/West Virginia border and the girls are juggling their pre dance dinner plans trying to figure out how to make it all work. We are all feeling on edge wondering how the timing is going to work out. I see us standing up as the curtain falls on the show and making a run for the door. When we bought the tickets, I chose the front row/middle of the balcony so we would not miss a thing, and now I am plotting and scheming on how I can get people to trade seats with us so that we can sit on the end and sneak out. This fun chick weekend that I had envisioned is now a race to the finish line.

 
I have to keep reminding myself that all of this is supposed to be fun. The girls are excited for everything, but frustrated at not knowing how the timing will all work out and whether they will make it to their dinners with their friends. My heart has already started racing, and I am not sure if it is from the fever pitch of activities ahead or if it is just pure excitement at having Ashleigh home for the weekend. Whatever it is, I have to put my game face on (or play face) and enjoy the ride. It will all work out, it will just be an intense few hours of dressing up running to the play and then coming home dressing up and running to dinner and then the dance. Once everyone is safely where they need to be I hope to put up my feet and spend some time with Ashleigh. In the mean time…GANG WAY!!

No comments: