Friday, October 1, 2010

Day 17 Ride of Your Life

There is no quiet for Mom this morning. Everyone was up early doing last little bits of homework, showering and making lunches. I count on the quiet in the morning it is a time for me to center myself and become focused. When my family is scrambling around with the radio on and telling the back stories of their previous day, I cannot zero in on my thoughts. I feel like calling my brain tower for clearance but there is none to be had.

Today will be an emotionally draining day. I will be taking my Great Aunt home to see her house. She needs to see that there has been no giant garage sale or purging of her property while she has been away from home. She has a list of items she wants to make sure no one has taken. I have prepared a lunch for us to share while we are there and my plan is to get in and out of there without too much discussion about the fact that she cannot go home again unless she has 24 hour care, that topic never goes well. She does not want strangers in her house, so she would rather not be home. I am prepared to take the heat for her being in the senior community, because she is safe and that is what is most important. She has no interest in facing reality, so I have to be her reality check.

This is why my dream life is so important. It helps me reach past my reality into the life I would like to live and the dreams I would like to be reality. It is my alternate universe. I am able to step outside myself, shut off my doubts and see possibilities. I am not just someone's wife, or mother or niece; I am someone with potential and talent. I know that I am someone with potential and talents, but I sometimes forget when I am faced with all the everyday responsibilities, than I become just another Mom in the grocery store or in the pickup lane at the school.

Things are finally quiet, the family has gone for the day and I am preparing to do the same. I might as well get the show on the road. It is suppose to be a beautiful day which will make my travels more pleasant. There is nothing like a boat full of sunshine to get you through the day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

not just another Mom! Your Ragen - a force to be recon with! xo