Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It Just Happened


I cannot explain it. I just could not bring myself to type Day 20 yesterday. I typed it out and then I deleted it, than typed again and delete, I removed it once more. Since I have started writing again this fall I have struggled each day to write the day and number. Something about it was pushing me to the edge. Perhaps it was that I just do not want to have the pressure of the days hanging over me. The other issue is that as I spent time thinking on my "All about me" day I realized that I wanted to write about more than just things that affect me. There is a whole world of things happening that have not only affected me, but others and I want the freedom to write about those things too. I do not want to feel pigeon holed into a specific day. It just happened, I saw a new path and I decided to take it. I am feeling the need to step outside of my own life and see what the world has to offer.


 With that I stumbled across this story of a family that in 2006 were burying their son Lance Cpl Matthew Snyder in Westminster, Maryland and 300 feet away from the funeral stood protesters from Westboro Baptist church with signs that read "God hates you" and "Thank God for dead soldiers". The church founded by Fred Phelps believes that God kills our soldiers "as punishment for the sin of homosexuality". This soldier was not gay, but the church believes that God is punishing us for the sin of homosexuality by killing soldiers. This church feels it is there right to promote the beliefs of their church where ever they want to. The father of Lance Cpl Matthew Snyder, Albert Snyder stated he was shocked that someone could do something like this during such a difficult and private time. Albert Snyder and his family have taken this issue to court to protect other families from the pain this group caused them. The family won and then on appeal the church one based on the first amendment, it has now reached the Supreme Court.



 
How sad for this family that their privacy was invaded during such a difficult and painful time. Not only were they dealing with sadness and loss, but they also had to face these "church" people and their signs and also their shouting. I am shocked at how many times I have seen the first amendment yanked out and used to explain away inappropriate choices and behavior. I am also always saddened when I hear of people using God and religion as an excuse to push their own personal agendas. This family deserved peace and privacy to mourn the loss of their son. While this so called church is busy stumping around yelling and carrying signs and calling for their rights to be, say and do what they want, what happens to the innocent people that they are using to push their agendas? What about their rights? I will be curious to see what the Supreme Courtdecides in the months to come.

No comments: