Friday, October 29, 2010

Decisions Decisions



As I walked with my girlfriend this morning, I shared with her how my week has played out and it caused her to comment "Wow, you have made a lot of decisions this week". The funny part is that until she said that, I did not realize I had made decisions at all. I had been going along these last few days, just trying to get things figured out and in the process cleaned up some loose ends. Bam! I am a decision maker.

 
Now I know to most people it is no big deal, but it requires a lot of effort for me to make a decision. I do not take decision making lightly, and as I mentioned a few days ago, I weigh out the good and bad of everything I do. Honestly, when I am going to run errands I always plot it out in my head so that it makes the most sense in time and distance. I do nothing without first looking at every option there is. It is a long annoying process that can potentially take the fun out of things. The other issue is that once the decision has been made I tend to continue to rethink it trying to make sure I am still making the right choice. Phew, the whole thing is exhausting. My family is use to it, they don't like it, but they are use to it.

 
This week I stirred my family pot by suggesting that we should move Aly's surgery from the week of Thanksgiving to during her Christmas break. The initial reaction was not good (Note my blog Miss Understood) but after some thought Aly decided to go along with my way of thinking. I just wanted her to have more time to recuperate and I also worried that thinking she was better she would get back to school and after bumping into people in the halls, and contending with 6 hours of school etc. she would need to take more time off for recuperating. With the course load she has chosen this year, I saw the potential for an extremely stressed out young lady. Honestly, that part did not sound fun to me at all. It can get pretty stressed here on a normal homework day, why make it worse? Ta da, a decision was made and I am relieved.

I have made many more decisions this week but mainly it feels like I have been scraping my heaping plate hoping to clear out my brain. I am tired of feeling overwhelmed and worried and I just want to have a little fun. Tonight I have "decided" to go to a local orchard that has a flashlight corn maze. I like the idea of that because it is not spooky or haunted, just some nighttime darkness fun. The girls and I (Mark might have to work late) and my sister with her family and hopefully some friends will spend some time roaming around in the dark and laughing. This is a much needed outing for all of us and I am happy I have decided to have a little fun. This morning as I sit by the fire with my feet up contemplating my life I am feeling very fortunate that I can make decisions and change my mind. I am also happy that I have a life that is full of friends and family that keep me thinking and deciding every day. That is one thing I do not have to rethink!

No comments: