Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 19 Ride of Your Life

I let my girls take my car to school this morning. Today is officially "all about me" day and I thought if I let them take the car then I am forced to stay home. Of course the girls went out the door bickering and I had to point my Mommy finger at them and warn them that I did not want any bickering in the car while they are driving. Even on this day about me, I am still a Mom. You might remember that I planned this day last week, and I even went so far as to put the day on my calendar. So here I am faced with a day to just do my own thing, and I am not sure what I will do with myself. I really just wanted to create this day and see what happens. I am normally not good at just taking it easy, but I have been so tired lately, I think it will be easier than usual.

Yesterday, I was talking with a very good friend of mine and her son was telling us about a recent study where a university blocked the Facebook (cyber social networking site) site on campus for a whole weekend. He was explaining to us that the reaction that the students had was similar to the reactions of people with addictions. As we spoke I made the decision to quit my Facebook site for the week. I made the deal with him that I could stay off my page, and now I can tell you that I understand how the students at the university struggled for the weekend when they were shut out from the social network. Honestly, I did not realize how much time I spent poking around the site. I don't necessarily think Facebook is a bad thing, I just think it can be a time waster. I think you can connect with a lot of people you might not normally have a chance to catch up with, and I also think that there are a lot of connections offered for information for many worthwhile organizations. That being said, it is still a time sucker and I am going to try to stay off of it

This will be a crazy week of being busy in spurts, that will culminate on Friday with a get together with some girlfriends to play the fun dice game Bunco. I decided to plan something with some friends, and for a while had tossed around the idea of a Halloween party, but I just did not have the energy to pull off a full blown party and thought perhaps a Bunco game with 12 women would be a fun time. This of course requires a clean house and prepared snacks. I have my menu mostly prepared, and my house will need some fine tuning too. But all of that is going to have to wait, because today is "all about me" day

Really all today is, is a day for me to take some time to think a little and rest a little. There is no such thing as "all about me" when you are a wife and mother. You are always on duty. Ready at the drop of a hat to prepare meals, pick up sick kids, drive people places and clean and do laundry. It is a never ending cycle, which I am sure that my few hours of being off duty will not affect at all. There will be no riding with the top down today (which would require a convertible which we do not have) or even riding with the windows down for that matter. Today I will be on foot and I will take the time to smell the fresh air and feel the warm sun. That is, if I feel like it.

No comments: