Monday, April 8, 2013

Hope Springs



I love this time of year, I love stepping outside to the surprise of warm air or peeking in my garden and seeing a bunch of brilliant purple flowers pushing up my mulch. This time of year the birds sing even on the coolest cloudiest day. All these things are reminders that spring has sprung. No more harsh winter weather or heavy coats, just bright colors, singing birds and a new season to make our way through. I am not kidding myself, I have seen the weather report for the week and it looks like lots of rain ahead but all the little signs that spring has arrived bring hope with them.

That little slice of hope can make or break a day or week or month. Just knowing that there is hope ahead turns your heart from worry to possibility. This afternoon my husband and I went coughing and tired to the doctor. I have had enough of feeling badly, but when Mark became sick I apparently thought he should not go through it alone so there I was sharing the little room with him so that we could be checked out be the doctor and later waiting patiently for our prescriptions at the pharmacy. When we arrived home I decided to take our little dog Roxanne out for a short walk before I put on my pajamas and put me feet up. As Roxanne and I walked along the road, through the clouds burst the sun and its warm rays hit my back. It was like a cozy hug from heaven and another reminder of the hope that spring brings.

At this moment I am sitting side by side with the love of my life as he reads a book. Both of our feet propped on the ottoman being warmed by a fire in the fireplace. I can think of no better place to be. I am thankful for this time together quietly doing what we each want to do, but together. Outside the sun still shines and the birds still sing and hope continues to spring. It’s a good day!

No comments: