Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sick Days


If you were to stop by today, you would find me just as I have been since Monday. Wearing pajamas, hair askew and lying about in a lump. What seemed like no big deal at the beginning of the week, has now settled into a ritual of coughing, listlessness, reading, sleeping and occasionally a few rounds of euchre on my IPad. I am pleasantly surprised that I have not coughed up a lung.

There have been many times during an exceptionally busy week that I have wished I could just opt out and not feeling well always seems to be my day dream. In my day dream I am dozing while my family dotes on me and my day’s agenda is wiped clean by understanding people. I tend to have this day dream and then reprimand myself for thinking like that, because the reality of not feeling well is nothing like the day dream.

This week has been especially difficult since Mark has been sick as well and he is preoccupied with nursing himself. While he shows his concern, he has just enough energy to work from home and cough. I have romanticized these sick days so often that now I am disappointed to find that while everyone here is sorry I am not well, they are not interested in dancing about singing “Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down” like Mary Poppins would. My being entertained is no one’s priority but my own.

I intend to make a go of tomorrow. Sick days seem way better in my day dreams and lately I have had a good amount of down time. I am certain that my day dreams will be of better things after this. Sunny and warm days, pleasant afternoon walks and even working in my yard all sound better than the rut I am in. So I suggest you consider this…first don’t stop by, it’s not pretty over here and second guard your good health it beats the alternative, trust me on this.

No comments: