Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Turning Darkness to Light


Yesterday, my worry was about not feeling well and trying to get back to my old self. I made wise cracks and plans to think positive; I also decided that I would share positive thoughts here in this blog. Hours after my announcement, someone set off bombs in Boston during the 117th year of The Boston Marathon killing 3 people so far (one of whom was a sweet 8 year old boy) and wounding at least 144. In the midst of this news, I found myself spiraling into a feeling of despair and disbelief. While I wanted to be positive and keep a clear mind, outside darkness was closing in on me and evil and fear were beginning to take charge of my thoughts.

I had decided to not speak of the events to my youngest daughter when she arrived home from school yesterday. I did not want her world to be changed, at least not until I was able to come to terms with it myself. There is no way to easily explain to adults why people hurt others let alone to a young person with their whole bright life ahead of them. I did not consider that our in touch and connected world shares information more quickly now than ever, so when my daughter came to me and said “Have you heard what happened in Boston?”, I was at a loss for words. All I could say was “This is a sad day”.

I do not want to be frightened away from living my life as I always have and I certainly do not want my children to be afraid. My girls have too much life to live to hand it over to fear and give up. The easy way to handle this would be to let whoever did this win, just stop living, stop sharing life’s moments and focus on the horror of it. However, this morning a voice from the past was on my radio, an old tape of Mr. Rodgers sharing how to help children deal with tragedy was played and this is what Mr. Rodgers said

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mothers’ words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.

Hearing Mr. Rodgers insight set me straight. His positive and clear cut advice reminds us to look for the positive. Look for the people that are doing good or better yet perhaps we could reach out and do good. Our choices are to let the darkness destroy our way of life and hide away, or turn and help and keep looking at the light of goodness in people.

While being positive is more difficult today, it is possible. We have so many stories of people doing good in the face of this disaster and so many stories of the out pouring of love, concern and help that will forever out shine the moments of darkness and destruction. Today my thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families that were touched by this evil. I pray that they have the love and strength of others to lean on and that God has his mighty arms wrapped around them. 

No comments: