Thursday, January 31, 2013

Whisper or a Shout…Sharing Faith

I am not a bible thumper, while my faith is strong and my belief endless, I have never been one to talk boldly or very openly about my faith. I have always believed that if I live each day with faith and intention for good that I will be walking the walk and not just talking the talk. I have always felt it best to focus on me and my faith and not look around at people to cast a net over. I do share my faith, but in my own way.

There are times when you step into a new church and feel like you are the catch of the day, or you meet someone that is so filled with excitement about their faith that they bowl you over with their enthusiasm making you wonder if you are faithful enough. I am not that girl. I prefer to be who I am and share my faith quietly and with intention. Quietly being the key word.

I am not ashamed of being faithful I just like the fact that by being the person I am, others can just know that faith works without my pushing hard to prove it. I want people to come to faith in their own time. I feel it is more comfortable for all of us that way. I have no problem inviting friends to my church or to a church event, I love my church and I am happy to share it, but I am not going to bug friends about coming if they do not want to and I am not going to stand in judgment if they are not interested.

I have been fortunate enough to belief in God my whole life, but I really grew into my faith as I got older. Perhaps my less then boisterous pronouncement of faith is because I have been intimidated one too many times in situations where I felt like faith was being pushed on me and I questioned why another would have to push so hard to prove that they have faith and that I needed it.

I think God has a plan and purpose for each of us. Our work here on earth may not require us doing his work out loud. Some of us may be his arms and legs and not necessarily his mouth piece. That can be hard to accept when you are very passionate about what you believe. Just remember when you have something important to share that people back away from a shout and they will lean towards a whisper.

No comments: