Friday, January 18, 2013

Forever Friends


I like having friends. This may sound trite and unnecessary since most people like having friends but I felt it needed to be said none the less. I have the good fortune of knowing some amazing people who have decided that having me around is tolerable. They have allowed me to step into their lives and somewhat annoy them and they have kept me around anyway.


Realizing that people actually like you in spite of yourself is quite a revelation. This morning at 6AM I walked with one friend in the dark and 17 degrees, I was able to talk and share and listen with someone that I enjoy spending time with and considering the circumstances she must like being with me too. Why else would anyone climb out of their cozy bed and step into the dark cold morning but for a friend.

Being a friend means a great deal to me. I have only recently started to realize my good fortune in choosing friends. I have one friend that has been in my life for some 26 years and although there was a period that because of life we did not see each other, when we met up again it was as if no time had come between us. I suppose I should also give some credit to the friends for the choosing, since although I chose them, they could have just as easily not chosen me. Anyway, having the opportunity to be a friend to my friends is truly a gift.

Life is fuller because of the people that have gathered around to walk along side me in my life. I have learned from my friends, traveled with my friends, eaten, laughed, cried and disagreed with my friends but we are and always will be friends. So no matter how simple and trite it sounds I like having friends because it gives me the chance to be a friend.


No comments: