Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sick Day

I dedicate my post today to all the Mom's who are not feeling well. I myself have had my days of illness and I know how tough it is. Let me walk you through a sick day for one of my children or husband. They go like this.
  1. I establish a sick zone, usually the couch with a sheet over it and a pillow with a fresh pillow case.
  2. I hand over the remote to said sick person and they become captain of the couch watching inane shows on television that make my head want to pop off.
  3. I have water, ginger ale and soup at the ready along with oyster crackers or saltines.
  4. I remain at the beck and call of the sick person for the duration, which includes nights and weekends.
Now lets walk through a day of my being sick:

  1. I wake up a little later hoping everyone gets off okay and doing my best to remind everyone of any necessary belongings that should not be left behind.
  2. I slog out to the couch and plop down as my mind works thorough what I have in the house that will make an easy dinner.
  3. I feed the dogs and take them out.
  4. I try to do laundry.
  5. I search for soup or something to eat for lunch.
  6. I have a mini pity party.
  7. I let the dogs out AGAIN!
  8. I suggest leftovers or something easy for the family dinner all the while feeling guilt and hoping no one goes hungry.
  9. I watch some inane show on television.
  10. I go to bed and hope that tomorrow I feel well enough to rejoin the world.
Mothering is my job, I take great pride and joy in it, I know that no other person can do for me what I do for my family and I do not expect them to...okay that part is a lie, it would be nice to get a little sick day tender loving care, but the truth is I really want everyone to keep moving forward and that's why I do what I do. It is no easy task taking care of a family and as Mom's we can only hope that what we do for the family when they are sick, they learn to do for someone else one day. I guess you have to consider mothering a Pay It Forward program. There is no other way to reconcile the hours of time and energy invested. We (Mom's) all know that our value far exceeds our actual pay but the benefits of love and genuine appreciation (no matter how small) make it worth it in the end. Lets face it we Mom's are awesome and just anyone can not step up and do what we do. If that means that I do not get a top notch sick day, then I guess I can let that go...not easily, but I can let it go.

No comments: