Friday, January 11, 2013

FASHIONISTA

I am the mother of three girls. As such, I find myself constantly balanced on the leading edge of fashion. Each of my girls has their own style and they wear it well. My youngest has always been fairly laid back about fashion and has shunned any current trends. Her interest in a particular style or fashion idea would last momentarily and then she would head back to her jeans and comfy shirt...until now.

Last night when I joined her in her room to help her plot out her outfits for the coming weekends events, I realized that she is being buried alive by hand me downs from both of her sisters and clothes she has outgrown. She also is so tender hearted that when I asked why she would except some of these items when they clearly A. Did not fit or B. they were worn out, she replied " I did not want to hurt their feelings".

Baby girl cannot even think about becoming a fashionista because she is busy being the guardian of unwanted clothing. Every time she gets dressed, she has to shuffle through drawers and a closet full of items that are not fit to wear. I spent most of the evening removing things from her closet and assuring her that she does not have to accept every piece of clothing set at her bedroom door.

Avery has hit the age where she is ready to find her own style and become her own person but when she gets dressed she looks in the mirror and sees herself in her sisters clothes and not her true vision of who she is. The hard part of all of these revelations is that Avery does not like to shop. At least not for long periods of time. This can really throw a curve ball at any fashionista since being fashionable requires shopping for fashion.

For the time being we are going to focus on clearing out the Hand-Me-Down mountain so that she can start at ground zero and build a wardrobe that better represents how she feels and who she is. The next obstacle will involve actually shopping. When she was younger I would have her cut out pictures of things she needed to remember for school and glue them to paper. I am thinking that she could use the same idea and clip and paste clothing ideas online so that she has a data bank of what she would like to look for. Maybe I am crazy, but I think it would make her shopping less overwhelming and stressful.

I realize that the world has much bigger issues at hand then a teenage girl's fashion woes, but in a house full of girls this is considered an emergency! Any self respecting mother of future women knows to answer this emergency call and I am on it...Never fear Momma Fashionista is here!!




Just a quick note that I am emailing my blog in this morning just in case it looks a little different.



Sent from my iPad

No comments: