Thursday, January 10, 2013

Not Bad For...


So yesterday my sister sent me a text and as part of the text she added “Not bad for an old broad”. That is a statement my Mom used to make all the time and it drove me crazy! It also does not help that said sister is about seven years younger than me! She is actually bringing the whole team down with her comment. My thought process is this, if you are what you eat, is it possible you are also what you think?
Can you age yourself by referring to yourself as old? I have friends that call themselves old on different occasions and since many of my friends are younger than me it grates on me. I realize that I am aging, but I do not intend to be old. My point is this, while my body is fervently working to make its way through life’s process all the way to the end, does that mean my mind and spirit must age as well? Could old just be a state of mind?

Why bow to the number in years and give up, when we could be learning and growing and staying current with the times. There is technology that changes daily and music of every type available. How it is possible that we could stay stuck in an age/number when we are thrust forward each day with new ideas is hard to comprehend. I honestly think change is good. Changes in clothes, food, and environment are all important in keeping us young
emotionally even when our body is making other plans.

I am not giving in on this. While there are definite signs that my body is trying to make a run for it, I am not going to stop thinking young. There is so much life left to be lived and my plan is to soak up as much of it as I can. As I soak it up, I also plan on enjoying every minute. Mind you it is not always easy, especially when your kids want to remind you just how uncool you really are, but I know that someday they will be in my shoes and look back and hopefully finally understand what I was up to. While they assume that I am trying to embarrass them or they think I look silly, I am really just teaching them to grab ahold of life and swing from its vine!

After all…we have one shot at this life thing, so why should we give up in the middle of it and coast? Today I ask that you cut yourself some slack. Look less in the mirror and more into your heart and mind and please do not refer to yourself as OLD! It suits no purpose and diminishes you and me. Remind yourself every chance you get that you are what you think you are and take a moment to breath into your mind and spirit the youthful life around you.

 

No comments: