Friday, January 6, 2012

Who Are You?

Have you ever had someone tell you something about yourself that you never realized, something simple or more in depth that someone else can see, but you cannot? Sometimes well intentioned friends or family may tell you things that they see that you do not believe are true, other times these same people have you scratching your head thinking "Hmm, am I really?"

I have had the opportunity over the years to have many people share their insights about me. There have been times that I thought these people did not know me at all and other times when a simple comment opened up a little piece of me that I did not even know was there.

Listening to others when it comes to who you are is tricky business, especially if the well intentioned person is off track and you happen to be having one of those days where you would take any suggestion someone has for you. After many false positives from others, I am finally comfortable enough that I can hear a suggestion and tweak it to work in my favor. It was not an easy path mind you, I have been cajoled into bad hair styles, a very bad marriage (my first husband, not my current) and some not so pretty events where I was bolstered by alcohol and victim to poor reasoning skills.

I now know that I can be who I am and if who I am does not work for someone else, that's OK. It's not that I want to shed people from my life, but I want to be sure that I honor myself and what I need and pay attention to the little voice inside me that lets me know when I am not being the real me. I have (my family firmly agrees with this) strong feelings about many things. I have little concern for technical things- even though I love technology, just show me how the thingy works and then leave me be. I really have no interest in taking over Apple so if the little knowledge I have keeps me going with my cell phone, computer and now my IPad, that is good enough for me. I like dressing up and I many times over dress. I like feeling like I can run into anyone and not feel like I just rolled out of bed. I also have had the bad fortune of trying the whole "quick trip" to the store with my lounge pants and hoodie and no make-up and have come face to face with someone I know. Others can do this and are comfortable enough with who they are to make it work. I am weak and honestly quite frightening in reality and it is best to stick with the façade.

One last thing about myself that bugs many of my friends -but it is how I feel- I love to write, but do not think I am honestly very good at it nor do I understand why anyone would read what I write. I do however write from my heart and I honor what I believe in my writing.

This is who I have learned I am on my own and with help. I am someone that thinks deeply, speaks openly and honestly, loves people and travel and also loves writing. I am also someone that has no patience for deceit or manipulation. I love being a Mom and mothering, and I will probably end up mothering my children to death until the day I die! Finally, you should know that due to the afore mentioned bad marriage I absolutely cannot tolerate liars. That is who I believe I am, who are you?

No comments: