Monday, January 23, 2012

Get Comfortable with Being Uncomfortable


Ever since Jillian Michaels said "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable" on her workout DVD Yoga Meltdown, I have liked that saying. It can apply to just about anything in life, since many things can be very uncomfortable. This week we begin another home project that will definitely make us uncomfortable. We are beginning to paint our basement and build a new fireplace mantel.

 
I use the word "we" because it was my idea, but Mark will actually be doing the work. Mark is a fabulous painter and basically encourages me not to paint since I am half hearted and sloppy. My painting temperament is more of a "why me" attitude with no yippee. Mark on the other hand likes these projects and enjoys painting. It shows in his work which is quite precise, so much so that he can cut in and paint without much taping. He also insists on preparing the area he is painting. I on the other hand feel that it is way too much fuss and it definitely shows when my project is complete. This is why I am asked to work the perimeter of most of our DIY projects. I am the idea person, Mark is the worker bee. It is win/win for both of us, I get a freshly redone basement and Mark does not have me in his way.

 
If you are a regular reader you might recall that last year we had our kitchen redone. It was a long process that kept my family contained in our basement. We were lucky enough to have a kitchen in our basement, so we spent a lot of time there throughout the winter. This year we will probably drive each other mad as we make the upstairs our destination. Honestly, it is worth a little discomfort to have a freshly painted basement and a little more updated look.

 
The other big thing is that our walls have real wood paneling and I have asked that Mark spackle them so that they have a smooth look when the painting is done. He seems game to accomplish this task, however I do believe he is praying even harder that he is hired somewhere this week. Being laid off from work is no walk in the park to begin with and when you add a project crazy wife in the mix you will end up with a husband that is eager to get back in the work force.

 
So, when we pulled the mantle off the wall yesterday it was our official announcement to the family to "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable!" Being uncomfortable was accomplished almost immediately for me when I made my way downstairs last night to let my dog Roxanne outside and promptly tripped over the mantle lying in the middle of the basement floor. Painting my basement will be wonderful when it is done, but it is going to be a long few weeks of packing our patience and being uncomfortable.

No comments: