Saturday, January 14, 2012

Home Alone


Last night I was home alone…well except for the two cats and dog, sorry guys. Mark and Aly headed up to a university three hours away for a scholarship essay contest that starts this morning. Avery spent the night with her twin best girlfriends (How nice is that, not just one BFF but two in one family!) I went to the movies with two of my girlfriends to see Joyful Noise with Dolly Parton (How can you not like her?) and Queen Latifa another great gal. The movie was corny, funny, touching and toe tapping, but I digress.

 Anyway back to being home alone.

 It was BORING! No one to annoy me, no one to chat with, no one to boss around or hug and no one to tell me that the footsteps I heard upstairs were just the house settling. I had myself totally convinced that the spirits of my dearly departed family members were roaming around my house having a cocktail party. This made it tough to climb the stairs and head to bed, but eventually I convinced myself I was a little nuts and made my way to my there. I mean really what more can these family spirits do to me anyway? I am here dealing with all of their estate and money issues and their ungrateful heirs while they prance around heaven without a care…must be nice!

 
This morning I realize that as much as I grouse about wanting time to myself or wishing that my family would get a clue and help out more and possibly just do the bloody thing I asked without compliant, I miss them all very much. I have not heard the tossing and turning of my sleeping family or the little moans as they roll over. I have not seen the eye rubbing teenagers that schlep down the hall and fall onto the couch on the weekend mornings as if they just ran a marathon. My wonderful husband has not roamed down the hall and said "Can I get you another cup of coffee?" or "What time did you get up?" I have had to get my own second cup of coffee and I have had to talk to my dog who keeps tipping her head sideways with a look that says, "You know I don't talk right? No, you do not seem to care…Oh whatever, Yes, I am cute…yes I know you love me…sure I will "help" you make the bed."

Being home alone sounds good on paper, but it comes with the normal caveat for wishes and that is be careful what you wish for because you just might get it! I am going to ramble about my computer a little more this morning and then I will be handling some estate stuff…because it has to be done (Blahck!) and then a little fun for me, my facial appointment. On the way home I will pick up Avery from her sleepover and probably over mother her a little. Then I will plant myself somewhere near the door to my house and wait for Mark and Aly like our dog Roxanne waits for us when we are gone, with eager anticipation! Oh, wait Roxanne just told me that's all an act. I really do think she can talk with her eyes, it is amazing!
"Kindly remove that camera from my face!
When did you say every one will be home again?"

No comments: