Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Unsubscribe

This morning I spent a few minutes going through my emails and unsubscribing to the companies that have been contacting me daily with their "important" information about their company or product. I have had enough of the constant push from every direction for me to spend my money here or there. I have also had enough of my email box being filled with solicit ice letters. We live in a new world where we are constantly bombarded from every angle with information, some information we want and some we do not, some we can unsubscribe to and some we cannot.

I have recently been receiving information I do not want and because this information comes without the option to unsubscribe I am stuck having to work my way through it. I want to yell out "STOP, don't tell me that!" but I can't. I want to pretend it is not real, you know sort of like the recent rash of "reality" shows. They parade their lives out for all to see and claim we are witnessing their reality, but what we are seeing are their calculated versions of what their lives are for our benefit, but these realities are nowhere near their real lives.

Life is messy. Things happen to people in our lives and to us that we do not want to see happen to anyone. You are watching an accident and you cannot stop it. That is when the unsubscribe button would come in handy. Just a click of a button and you could put everything back the way it was. Unsubscribe to sadness and loss or unsubscribe to a bad decision. Real reality is that that is not possible. We have to walk through the hard times to get to the good times. I have told my kids forever that when there are hard things in their lives they have t walk through them. If they avoid them the next hard thing will be harder and the next even harder until they get through it and move on. I have always counseled them that the first time that you hit the hard bump your best bet is to make your way through and move on. I can only hope that they heed my advice and get help and guidance when they need it.

The truth is reality is tough. Life is tough too and there is no getting around any of it. So I guess I will have to chalk the idea of an unsubscribe button up to fantasy and get on with facing reality. It is not pretty, but it is the real thing and that is what life is all about.

No comments: