Monday, August 15, 2011

The Get Away


Well it has been a couple of days since I have written. I started writing on Friday, but I had plans to meet a friend for breakfast so I put my writing on hold and headed out to meet with her thinking that I would finish my writing when I got home. Once I got to breakfast and started chatting with my friend I realized that I was not going to write that day.

 
My friend and I have a favorite place outside of our town where they have a blend of antiques and quirky items. We love to go there and walk through looking longingly at the things we want and cannot afford and buying that special something when we can. Friday morning I said to her, "I need to go out to The Lamb's Tail." As we ate breakfast and talked she asked me when I was going and I told her "I want to go right now, you want to come?" "I'm thinking about it." she replied. Next thing I knew I was following her home so that I could drive us to our favorite place.

 
After wondering around The Lamb's Tail, I said "I want you to see my kitchen, I am trying to decorate it and do not know what to do with it", and with that we were back in my car heading towards my house. We stopped along the way at random garage sales hoping to stumble on something fabulous and even went way out of our way when we followed a sign and got ourselves lost. In the middle of all of this my gas gauge declared that our gas level was dangerously low and we started laughing at how we would call for help if we ran out of gas, not having any idea where the heck we were.

 
We finally made our way back to civilization and found a gas station in the nick of time and slowly wove our way back to my house. The whole time my children were annoyed that I was not readily available and I received calls and texts asking me to pick up things like hot cocoa. "Seriously, it is 80 degrees, why do you need cocoa?" apparently Mom being on the lamb was not something my kids were used to. I was not catering to their needs and available to give up my car (The third car we are buying is not ready yet) for them to take.

 
My girlfriend and I laughed and talked and it felt like somehow we were doing something we really shouldn't be doing, which made it even more fun. In the middle of my crazy life, I decided to get away. I just needed to step off my beaten path and blaze a new trail for a day or two. I did not write that day or the next adding even more trail blazing to my life. I just needed to do something different for a change and it felt good, but it feels even better to be back at my real life today and bossing my kids around. So far they want a sleepover tonight and some school shopping tomorrow so I have had my dishwasher emptied and a promise of my lawn being mowed tomorrow. I love my life!

No comments: