Saturday, August 6, 2011

Getting Better

Last night I had five extra girls at my house. Aly had wanted to have a campout in my backyard and last night seemed like the best night to do it, so the tents went up, the pool was opened and the bonfire was built. After two large pizzas, several brownies, roasted marshmallow's and cups of pop the girls finally settled down. I at least think they did, because at some point I fell asleep.

In addition to the overnighter, Aly has just about finished her summer homework for the AP English class she is taking this year and she has already made a plan to start and finish the work for the AP Calculus class she signed up for. She and Avery have both completed applications for a local orchard that is hiring. Aly willingly filling out hers and Avery very grudgingly. I had to once again explain to Avery that if she is able bodied there is no reason why I should constantly hand her cash. I honestly think that the work will be good for her. She likes cocooning into her room with a book and does so way too often. I do not want to raise and antisocial Unabomber.

Aly is healing from her surgery and she is getting back to her old self. She is organized and productive and for the first time in a year she is not tired all of the time. I think we finally might be on the healing track. This comes not a moment too soon considering that I just received the packet for her senior year and I want her to enjoy every minute of it without having her health issues hanging out there. I have to say Aly does continue to mother Avery whether in sickness and in health, and I have had to warn Avery that next year around this time she will be down to only one Mom. Hopefully Avery will be able to get along without the extra maternal boost.

All in all Aly is getting better and that makes life better for all of us. Last year at this time I would not have had girls running around my house playing Ghost in the Grave yard or Marco Polo in my pool, Aly did not have the energy. So if it means I have brownie crumbs, paper cups and plates, pop cans and wet towels to deal with, I will take it.

No comments: