Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Viva Las Vegas























Last week after months of waiting, I made my first ever trip to Las Vegas. Several of our friends were heading there on Monday, but because Avery's birthday was Tuesday we flew out Wednesday morning with Ashleigh (my oldest daughter) and her husband Scott. I had no idea what to expect. I am not a gambler, but I was looking forward to being somewhere warm since it was not warming up here at home. We set out VERY early on Wednesday morning and literally kept going until we got on the plane to come home on Saturday afternoon.

 
This is what I learned in Las Vegas…
I do not like crowds or cigarette smoke. I also like my money in my hand I do not like shoving it into a machine that gives me nothing in return. I could very well become addicted to video poker if it were not for the previously mentioned fact. I love my daughter and her husband they are really fun people! Las Vegas is hot. Las Vegas is expensive; anyone that tells you different is a liar!

 
We laughed a lot, ate a lot and spent a lot of money, but I am glad we went. It was nice to get away and do something completely out of the ordinary. I do not see myself signing up for a trip back there anytime soon though. Mark really enjoyed it there, but I felt like I would have enjoyed a trip somewhere warm with a tropical breeze more. I am however very grateful that we went and tried something outside our normal travel destinations.

 
I have a great life and I am fortunate to be able to travel pretty much whenever I set my mind to it. It usually takes a little convincing to get Mark on board, but once he agrees we are happy to be on vacation. Life is far too fleeting to sit around hoping to do something someday, I believe that every day we are handed opportunity and we just have to reach out and grab hold of it. Today, I am already thinking about the next trip on my agenda, my cousins wedding on a beach in Maine this summer. That will be something!

 
My cousin Laurel is coming to visit us this weekend with her fiancé Matt. Laurel is coming to see our Great Aunt Nina. She really wants her fiancé Matt to meet Aunt Nina. There is no way for me to explain to Laurel how different my Aunt has become in the last few weeks. I am certain that her heart will hurt like mine when she sees that our Aunt has given up and is readying herself for the end of her life. I hope that within her visit we have some time to reminisce and enjoy sometime together. How quickly life moves from vacation fantasy to life's reality. I guess it is time for Viva LIFE!

No comments: