Friday, May 27, 2011

Drivers Training

My youngest daughter Avery passed her written drivers training test last night. That means that she now has 50 hours of driving to do with my husband and me before she turns 16 next year. Last night, I went for my first ride with Avery since the perilous drive we tried before she started the training class. I have to say she did a fabulous job driving!

It is the circle of life in full bloom here now. As the school year comes to an end and we are faced with Aly's senior year next year I am starting to realize that I am going through a little training myself. I am looking around me and seeing my children moving into the next phase of their lives and realizing that I am slowly being trained to let them go. I am having my grip slowly removed one finger at a time. I am in my own form of training that has a hands on test that requires me to remain alert yet let go of the wheel.

I have to say that riding around with Avery last night she was calm and at one point when I was alarmed at her rate of speed going into a turn, she said "It's OK Mom, I know what I am doing." How do you like that? No drama, no screaming, just a calm response to a freaked out Mom. I really think my new driver might just be able to handle being on the road better than I can. As for my future Senior, she has her major and minor decided and she just has to pick her school…well, she did pick one, but I want her to look around a little more. That's where the letting go of the wheel part gets tricky. For now, I am going to bask in the glow of my fabulous new driver and put off thinking about colleges until tomorrow.

No comments: