Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mothers What?

Here I sit the day after Mothers Day, about 36 hours after arriving home from a short vacation with Mark and my oldest daughter Ashleigh and her husband Scott wishing I could repack my bag and high tail it out of here! I was lulled into a false sense of love and respect with the lovely sentiments that my children shared yesterday and this morning I was hit smack dab in the face with why my children need parenting.

Being gone I missed my youngest children and had a fantasy about my life with them swirling around in my head. Coming home was fabulous since they missed me and I had the double bang for my buck that it was Mother's Day the next morning. My children were happy and teary eyed as I entered the door late Saturday night. This morning they are over all that and back to being snippy and demeaning to each other and a little too lippy with me.

I long for the reality and fantasy worlds to come together. I want Mother's Day every day, but I know that cannot happen. Instead, I am stuck in this middle place where I know they love me, but they just cannot help being who they are and treating each other like siblings instead of children from the good fairy. I will just have to settle for reflecting on the happy moments from our trip and enjoying the spring that has finally cracked the winter weather. I welcome the sun and the flowers and the chance to get my deck ready for some quiet reflection.

Tomorrow I will share with you details of my trip. Today it is back to reality, I have to go see my Aunt Nina and get back at trying to help her die with dignity and apparently I have to get some food for my children's lunches. Shocking as it is even though I left them money they still did not have enough food for this morning's round of lunch making. To that I say, "Who's fault is that?" and "How would I know that, I was not here?" Just another example of why my kids still need parenting. They must think that the food fairy makes deposits. Ah, today is the day after Mother's Day. It is good to be home and back to reality!!

No comments: