Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Decision

I decided yesterday that it was my job to speak for my Aunt. I was tired of the gaggle of people on the perimeter making comments and decisions for her. The last straw was when the psychiatrist suggested that we could give my Aunt an antidepressant that would also have an appetite enhancer. I kept thinking "Have you looked at my Aunt?" Here is this woman with her cheeks sunken in, her lips bloodied and too weak to stand or sit up that screams in pain when you touch her…"DOES SHE LOOK LIKE SHE WANTS YO EAT TO YOU!!??"

I looked at this puffed up self righteous man with his psychiatric degree and said "No, we are not going to do that, we are going to keep her calm and let her go when she is ready". That was it; that was the moment I stopped letting others decide for me and my Aunt what is best for her. All she has wanted is to not eat and be left alone and now it is time to let that happen. We have been there sitting outside her room taking turns going in to check on her. Aunt Nina has grabbed mine and Laurels hands and told us she loves us. That alone has been worth more than gold.

We have a wonderful Hospice nurse that has helped get my Aunt medication to help with her pain and we hope and pray that her journey will end quietly and swiftly. My Aunt was always traveling somewhere. My Aunt Nina and Uncle Ted have seen the world and they traveled extensively together throughout their marriage. This journey for Aunt Nina will be the ultimate trip ending with her walking into the arms of her Husband Ted and her daughter Dana. No other trip can compare.

The decision has been made we have turned this decision over to God now. He will be my Aunt's tour guide this time. I believe this to be the best decision of all and the hardest one I have ever made.

No comments: