Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Journey Begins With One Breath


There is a saying that every journey begins with one step, but life's journey begins with one breath and continues until the final breath. Last night Aunt Nina took her final breath. She waited until no one was in the room and she stepped from our world into the gates of heaven. Aunt Nina is finally with her daughter Dana and her husband Ted. She no longer has to wish to be with them.

 
I find myself oddly feeling like I am drifting with no direction. I miss her all ready. This woman that made me want to yank out my hair some days and told me family and personal stories other days will be missed. There is no way to fill this void other then time. Now the task of sorting out her home and preparing to package her life into manageable containers begins. This will not be something that will be easy, and perhaps temporarily it will fill the void that has been left.

 
In time this will slowly drift to the back of my memory as a special time in my life, a time when I was blessed to help and care for my Aunt when she needed me. Right now, I am still focused on her final breath that she took quietly when we all left the room. She just wanted to sleep and she has gotten her wish. Her journey has begun with one last breath.

No comments: