Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Birthday Girl


Avery's 3rd Birthday 1999
15 years ago today my youngest daughter was born. My baby girl loves her sleep; she is still sleeping as I write this. I have always teased Avery that if we had not induced labor she would still be curled up in my womb refusing to come out into the world. In fairness, it must be very cozy in my womb, because every one of my 3 girls was two weeks late. Fortunately we had the foresight to ask the doctors to intervene and a few minutes after noon on May 3, 1996, I was holding baby Avery.

 
A few weeks after Avery was born, I found myself having a battery of tests run to find out why my legs were hurting and why I was so tired. It turned out I had cytomegalovirus, a self limiting virus that is a cousin to Mononucleosis. Needless to say, I had to stop nursing my baby and never felt like I had the chance to bond with her like I did my other two girls. After a few months, the virus healed its self and I was back on track. Over time I have come to realize that Avery and I have bonded. I am relieved that I did not lose touch with my little girl we just took the long way around to bonding.

 
Avery has been the only one of my girls to end up with my long legs. She is somewhat envied by her sisters, but the truth is that each one of my girls has their own special piece of me and they are each beautiful and unique in their own way. Avery has a big and tender heart. She is soft spoken and aware of words that can hurt. She has a quirky wit and you find yourself laughing at the curious things that she says.

 
Avery is also very artistic. She see can see beauty in the most obscure things and she has the eye that can turn ordinary into extraordinary. Avery is also very bright. She really has no idea how bright she is because it comes so easily to her. I think she assumes that everyone is just like her and does not consider herself to be better than anyone else.
15 years ago today, I was given my final daughter. I am blessed to have her light in my life. I love the way she lays her head on my shoulder like she has done since she was a very little girl in her booster seat. When I look back at pictures of myself at her age I see our resemblance and it takes me back a little. How lucky I am to have been given these wonderful children to raise and mentor. I have had the honor of learning to be a better Mom through these wonderful guinea pigs that God sent to me. I will be forever grateful that we plucked Avery out of her cozy burrow 15 years ago so that we could share her with the world. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL!!

No comments: