Friday, October 7, 2011

Two Too Tired Teenagers

Homecoming week here in our small town always feels like I think it must in the cities where they host the Super Bowl. There is one activity after another at the high school, everyday. Both my girls are on student council, Aly is senior class treasurer and Avery is a sophomore representative, so not only are they participating in all the activities, they are in the machine that is making all these activities happen. This is a recipe for two too tired teenagers.

I have had more sassy mouths and eye rolling this week then I can take. I have tried to remain calm and not react and I am still accused of "yelling" at them. Actually a couple of days ago Avery said "Mom, stop yelling at me!" That's when my eyes bugged out and in a temporarily crazed moment I yelled at the top of my lungs "I was not yelling, but NOW I am!" I mentioned to a friend that I was almost to the point of telling them if they do not knock it off, I am not going to let either of them go to the dance and her response was " Don't do it, then you will be stuck with their crabbiness all night!"

On top of the teenitudes I am also watching every possible teen drama unfold amongst Avery's group of friends. Teens sticking their noses in other teen's relationships. People planning to come to dinner then not come to dinner, teens that are in the clique that do not want non cliquers at dinner and teens inviting people to the dinner I planned and am preparing with a friend without asking if that is ok. I cannot wait until tomorrow night when we drop their fancy dressed butts at the homecoming dance and we can once again focus on real life and not "As the teens turn".

When Aly and Avery arrive home on Sunday after their sleepovers, I am going to have to put them in quarantine until they have rested up enough to be half way civil. Actually now that I am thinking about it Sunday afternoon would be a great day for Mark and me to hop in the car and take a ride to see the fall colors. The trees are changing quickly and it is suppose to be warm and sunny all weekend. I think leaving these two too tired teens home alone to fight amongst their selves is the perfect plan.

No comments: