Tuesday, October 4, 2011

School Spirit

It's spirit week. This is the week in high school that leads up to the big high school Homecoming football game on Friday and the Homecoming dance on Saturday. Each day during spirit week there are theme days where the students dress up in clothes that follow the day's theme. Yesterday was college day, so my girls each wore a shirt that announced the name of a college. This was easy since we spent a good amount of time looking at colleges this summer. Each school offered up a wide range of shirt choices, however, I do have to say many times there were some very nice choices on the clearance rack…my favorite place to shop.

Today's theme is neon wacky tacky day. The best way I can describe this is, very bright colors and weird clothing combinations, so weird that when my girls were leaving today I advised them not to get stopped by the police. They looked ridiculous, but they were happy. They are both so excited for every theme this week. Tomorrow is Decade's day which means I guess you are suppose to dress like a different decade. Aly has already asked Mark to borrow a weird Caribbean looking shirt that she thinks will look like the 60's. Avery has not said a word about it yet which I am sure means we will be scrambling at the last minute.

The rest of the week is hall colors day on Thursday, where each grade decorates a hall in their class colors and then dresses in those colors followed then by school spirit day on Friday where everyone will wear red and white (the school colors) to show their school spirit. Then we have the dance on Saturday. That is when things will heat up around here. We will be curling hair and preparing all day to look beautiful. I learned last year that all the worries about shoes to go with the dress are a big waste since apparently they kick off their shoes when they get through the door of the dance. None the less we still have all the right matching accessories. A girl has to look good you know!

It is definitely a week of fun and excitement. The girls are talking nonstop and they are fighting a little less since they are focused on all of the fun. There is no lack of school spirit here. I am thrilled that the girls are having fun and participating. It is hard not to mentally note each day that we are one step closer to the end of Aly's senior year. She has sent out two college applications and we have two more to go and then I can start bugging here about some other deadline that is probably coming up.

I did have to negotiate with Aly over the weekend. Instead of placing a senior ad for her in this year's yearbook (a common practice among parents that can run between $45 and $400 dollars) I explained to Aly that we would buy her and Avery tickets to a show (Wicked) their theatre class is going to in December. Aly actually took it very well and we discussed how the ad matters for about the five minutes when you first see it and then it gets packed away with your yearbook. Going to the show with her theatre class and friends will be a lasting memory.

School spirit abounds and I suspect that it will be for the rest of this year. I am happy that my girls are making the most of this life experience and I am also glad that at least for now, they have each other to encourage and motivate. In the mean time I am going to cheer from the home front and pray that these good feelings last for them. It would be very nice to make it through this week without some random crazy sister fight.

*\0/* GO TEAM!!

No comments: