Thursday, June 2, 2011

Time Flies

My Time is flying. I feel like I barely lay my head on my pillow and I am waking up to the alarm. Not my alarm but usually one of my girls alarms and then I am awake and my head starts spinning with all I have to do that day. I feel like I am in constant motion propelling forward as if on a roller coaster. Everything is whipping past and I cannot focus on any one thing. Time flies and I am flying with it.

I head back to my Great Aunts house today. Once again my friends Pam and Anna will be there to help me make my way through the enormous paper trail that is left of my Aunt's life. It will be a good day, mainly because I have decided it will be. I have packed snacks and coffee so that while we work we have something to sustain us. I am also going to be using some allergy spray, because quite honestly the dust there is out of control which means that the end of my nose starts to itch and I start acting like a cocaine addict. Wiping and itching my nose constantly. It is not a pretty sight and my friends should not have to endure that along with the overwhelming amount of papers. I think when the attorney told me to pack up all of her papers and get them out of the house he did not realize what he was asking me to do. Perhaps he envisioned a filing cabinet or two with files that I could put and in a box and pop in my car. That would have been great, but instead I have at least a good 50 years of papers, if not more.

This is where I remind myself and you that every paper is not necessary to keep. I get it that there are some things you should hang on to and some things that you do just because you have a sentimental attachment, but trust me as much as my children love Mark and me, they are not going to care about most of our crap once we are gone. They are going to want a quick and easy sweep through the house and then they will want to move on with their lives. But maybe somewhere buried in all of the crappy stuff there will be a jewel and they will stop and take a minute to reminisce like Avery and I did last night when I shared a poem with her that my Granddaddy wrote in 1939.

The poem was written long hand and here is what it said:

My Little Girls

By Walter Ragen Frizzell (1939)


 

I have two girls, I do

-Just about so high,

They are sweet as the lovely angels

-clear as the blue in the sky.

Dancing and shouting, ah!

-shrilly the call,

Daddy! We love you, yes

-'cause you love us all.


 

Tiny hearts, tiny souls,

-lives so sweet and pure,

Lofty dreams within them dwell

-the heights they'll climb for sure.

How they thrill me day by day

-without them life seems dull

For days with them are filled with love

-sorrow and tears are null.


 

My little girls will grow up someday

-ladies they shall be,

With heads of curls and cheeks aglow

-their beauty I can see;

And when that day arrives at last

-and I am slightly grey,

Their mother and I will be proud, I'm sure

-that we guided them all the way.


 

Even my Granddaddy knew that time flies and he cherished every moment throughout. I intend to continue this family legacy and cherish the time with, my children, my husband, my family, my new found sisters and my amazing friends. Life is good and time flies and I will ride on its wings.

No comments: