Monday, June 6, 2011

Superwoman


I think the American woman is out of control. We have convinced ourselves that we can do all and be all for everyone. The trouble is that society has begun to expect it. If you cannot "bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan and never let your husband forget he is a man" then are you really a woman at all? Seriously, women everywhere need to take it down a notch and take the pressure off!

 
This weekend as I wrangled my nephews with the help of Mark and my three lovely daughters, I started thinking about everything it took just to get to Ashleigh's house for the two night one day adventure. On Friday, I was scratching my head wondering why my Superwoman cape did not make me air born. I could not have possibly done one more thing and then I did. After picking up the boys (my little nephews) and hitting the road I heard on the radio that the highway I was on was closed at a crucial portion of my route. After a few calls back and forth between Mark and I (he was heading to Ashleigh's from work) I ended up driving a few miles out of my way so that I would not be stuck in a highway accident parking lot with two young boys, two teenage girls and a very nervous dog. With my cape tied securely around my neck I was able to overt a potential crisis.

 
Ironically, two other people I spoke with this weekend were having similar over done Superwoman issues. One actually shared with me that a friend was planning on getting her a superwoman cape as a gag gift. I am starting to realize that this is no gag, it is a serious problem. The biggest thing is how you take it down a notch when everyone around you expects Superwoman. Not only that, you do not know any other way to be. It is a constant battle between good enough and excellent. If you settle for good enough, who are you letting down, yourself or your friends and family. It is a long narrow line filled with expectation.
Wanting to be everything to everyone is something I have been dealing with my whole life. I am not sure that I will ever be fully over it; however it might be worth a try to at least be a little less cape worthy. I know I cannot do it all and I certainly cannot be all. Maybe if all of us feminine over achievers banded together for a cape burning, we could move past this ideal we have created and just let the false identity go. I am not sure about the rest of you, but I need a break. OK, who am I kidding, you know the minute I am done writing I am going to go grocery shopping and then come home and put laundry in the dryer, get dinner ready and make my list of remaining things to accomplish today. This is all on top of the 2 ½ hour drive home from Ashleigh's this morning where I stopped at my sisters on the way to drop off her son's medicine which I forgot to return to her when I turned them over to her yesterday afternoon at our other sisters house.

 
I had to abandon my husband and younger girls after leaving my sister's son's graduation party last night and let them drive home while I drove the hour and a half back to Ashleigh's to get our dog. I spent the night got up visited briefly and left at 8:00 AM so that Ashleigh, (a chip off the Superwoman block) could get ready to go to work. Today is probably not the day to start the cape diet…maybe tomorrow.

No comments: