Saturday, June 11, 2011

Money Hungry

I knew I was in for trouble when one of my Great Aunt's grandsons's called me a couple of days ago wanting money. Apparently he needs a large amount of money fast. I explained how the estate works and when he would be entitled to his share and then directed him to my Aunt's attorney (who is now my attorney helping me with the estate) with whom he would be meeting with later that day. I suggested that he should ask all of his questions during the meeting with him and his brother. He was annoyed, but I explained how the whole thing was supposed to work and than once again suggested that he talk with the attorney.

Yesterday I hauled myself and my friends Pam and Anna back to my Aunt's house so that these same grandchildren could have the opportunity to go through the house and choose items that they would like to have before we have the estate sale. In addition to Pam, Anna and I, an associate attorney came from the main attorney's office to keep tabs on the grandson's and catalog what they removed from the house. First of all only one young man showed up and he had no idea where his brother was. He roamed the house grumbling and asking me how much a certain item was worth and telling me how furs could bring in a lot of cash. That's when he said it, the thing that shut me down and made me lose interest in helping him, he said "I don't care about the sentimental stuff, I just want the money". That was it I threw up in my mouth a little and walked away from him, thinking "This is why I have been killing myself these last few weeks, for this JERK?"

Throughout the two hour window he had in the house he was texting back and forth with his brother and asking me questions. He pushed my aunt's car out of the garage to try to jump the battery and then when he could not get it started, Pam I and the attorney found ourselves in the rain helping him push the car back into the garage. He was annoyed that we would not stay longer so that his brother (who knew the time frame and did not come) could come to the house. I had agreed to this appointment as a favor to the attorney. I had explained to him at the beginning that I had wanted to be home yesterday, but I also knew I needed to get them through the house as soon as possible. I was not staying longer since all he cared about "was the money". He really ended up taking nothing much, but he did request the car for his brother and a piano that had been his mothers.

As we were leaving I noticed that the patio door was unlocked, so I relocked it, all of a sudden this squirrely brat was showing an interest in the items in the living room near the garage door and so as I watched him I realized he was trying to distract us so that he could unlock the house and get back in. When he left the living room I went over and sure enough the garage door was unlocked, so I relocked it and made the attorney aware of his stunts as we all headed out. I locked up the house and gave the attorney my key so that they had a house key at the attorney's office and climbed in my car with Pam to head home. A few minutes into the drive I realized that my Aunt had a garage door remote on her bedside table which she had used to let neighbors know if she was in distress. Their code had been if the garage door was up she needed help. My concern was that the grandson might have seen that remote and taken it thinking he could come back in the house after we had all gone.

I called Mark who works a few minutes from the house and asked if he could go check on the house and my theory, which he did. Mark called me minutes later to tell me that yes, the remote was gone and that he had rechecked all the doors and unplugged the garage door. Well, now I was on fire! I called the attorney and left a message explaining what had happened and called him again later and spoke to him directly. Basically, the kid has cut off his nose despite his greedy, money hungry face. He is done in the house, he can be annoyed and question me all he wants, but other than his greed, he will have nothing for now.

What really bugged me the most was him swaggering around the house saying how he did not like people going through the house without him knowing about it and questioning what we have done and how we have done it. Here is my question for Mr. Greedypants, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN FOR THE LAST 4 ½ YEARS?? If you were so worried maybe you should have stepped up to the plate and helped take care of your Grandma you little brat! As you can see I am (forgive me) pissed off and I have no patience left for these two thankless Grandchildren. I intend to follow the plan of my Great Aunts estate to the letter I will do the leg work and the cleanup work and whatever else it takes, but the attorney can deal with the grandchildren, I am done with them! Money hungry little brats!!

No comments: